List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Language fall-back
From:       Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes <gaute () verdsveven ! com>
Date:       2004-05-15 11:09:44

Fredag 14. mai 2004 23:52 skreiv Heiko Evermann:
> Hi everyone,
>
> one user of our Low Saxon translation pointed us to a problem:
> He wanted to use the languages
> 1) Low Saxon (nds)
> 2) Standard German (de) whenever there is no nds translation
> 3) English if there is no translation into nds nor de.
>
> I had thought that this gets evaluated on an entry by entry basis
> (msgstr by msgstr).

It used to work that way back in KDE 2, when Norwegian Nynorsk was
"no_NY" and Norwegian Bokmål was "no". no_NY would fall back first to
no and then to English. For a long time, I thought this was how it was
supposed to be, but I discovered that it did not work the other way
around (no->no_NY->en), nor did it work anymore after we switched to
the proper ISO codes nn and nb.

I was told it was a bug, not a feature :) I think it may be related to
one code being a substring of the other, but I haven't investigated it
further. I don't know if the fallback was decided by Gettext or KDE.

Regards,
 Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes