List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Armenian Language
From:       Ashod Nakashian <armeniantranslations () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-05-13 19:21:16

Hi!

Wow! Everyone I included in the original mail is IN.
Good start. Ok, before we dive in, a couple of things.
Let’s make sure everyone is on the KDE i18n mailing
list. I understand that Norik is having some problems
with spam. Suggestion: create a new account just for
this cause. I did that, and at the end of the day,
it’s better to check yet another mail-box then to get
lost in spam. Also, please make sure you always send a
copy of your mails to the KDE i18n Doc. mailing list
even if you have included everyone in your mail. This
way we get auto archiving and we attract other
potential volunteers. This is how I found ALL of you!
(To subscribe:

I’m sure we all have ideas we want to share with each
other. To avoid redundancy, we need to be able to
archive what we discuss. For now the KDE mailing list
is just good enough. A site for Armenian-KDE is
underway at SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/).
Once approved, we will get a free web site with:
Mailing list, Forum, PHP and mySQL Database, as well
as a sandbox to compile our versions of the KDE family
remotely on the SF servers (for those who can’t
compile on their box.)

There are a few things we need to thoroughly discuss
before we get to KBabel. If you ask me I think a main
goal of this project is to make our efforts reusable
in other Armenianization (I heard it first from
Anoush) projects. As such, we need to make our
translations (and transliterations) available in an
easy-to-use glossary-like form. Also, we need to
create a system where it is easy for any new-comer to
make contribution without going through brain damage.
I think it would be best if we make our "glossary"
editable by anyone, and we commit the changes to the
PO files ourselves. This way anyone can make a change
(what will be called a suggestion) but only the
drivers (those who would commit the changes and post
the translated PO’s) can make the changes permanent.

Yes, we need to contact the MandrakeLinux
Armenianization team. Also, another team was (still
is?) working on OpenOffice Armenianization. They (He?)
have created an MS Excel file which contains all the
text which needs to be translated. I think this
originally comes from the way OpenOffice provides all
the text used in OpenOffice to translators. Perfect
example to follow, except for the fact that it is in
Excel format.

I speak both dialects. The Eastern is more "alive"
then the Western (there are region jargons, new words,
technical words...). Nonetheless, we need to have both
versions. If you ask me, I HATE the fact that we have
2 versions (thanks to Abovyan (or Apovian) (mid-1800s)
and the Soviet-influenced changes (1921) it is much
harder to unite them back!) My first choice would be
to have an "International" Armenian version. Yes, it
is very doable, we use neither. Rather we use the old
Armenian grammar. But that’s not very practical, and
it would confuse those who can’t really read it, like
the school kids.

What are the differences?  Well, there are 3 main
differences: Spelling, Grammar and Vocabulary &
Transliteration.

Spelling: The words ending with ‘-tiun’ are written
differently. In Western they are written using the
‘Ini’ letter (as in Leej - lake in Armenian,) where in
Eastern it’s written using the Yiun letter (as in the
first letter of hisus - Jesus in Armenian.) Another
difference is in the way ‘-ian’ is written. Western
uses Yetch (as in Yerevan), eastern Yiun. (The
Soviet-Russians really needed to break
Armenia-Diaspora relations by changing the family
names, only on paper.) There are a few other
differences.

Grammar: The most notable differences are in the way
verbs are conjugated. Western use the more correct
form of "ge" + verb, where the eastern use verb +
"oum". Another difference is in the use of "from". The
Western end words with "en" and the Eastern with
"its." There are a few other differences such as the
way phrases are formed. This is mostly because of the
grammatical differences, but also because of the
influence of foreign languages on both dialects.

Vocabulary and Transliteration: There are a few
differences in the vocabulary as well, such as verb
to-be: "Ellal" in Western, "Leenel" in Eastern. This
extends to transliterated words. A fairly
international word such as "Information" is
transliterated in Eastern from the Russian version,
which is "Informatsia." Another problem with
transliteration is when you have to choose between the
letters pronounced equally in Western but not eastern.
Most notably the letters D and T ("House" becomes
"Doon" in Western and "Toon" in Eastern) and G and K
("Possible" becomes "Garely" in Western and "Karely"
in Eastern.)

These differences are more critical in documentation
translation, but not in the Menu’s and simple
sentences. That is, in simple sentences it could be
made to minimize the differences, after all, if you
don’t use much foreign (or new) words, any Armenian
who studied the language (or really speaks/writes in
Armenian) should understand the other dialect, no
problems. This is true in live dialogs between any
two, let alone on 3-5 word sentences on a computer
screen. The problem is of course with the vast
majority who has a hard time even identifying commonly
used words as Armenian or foreign.

Translating the Menu’s and Commands is not all that
hard. In fact, the OpenOffice team did a pretty good
job. Although they still use foreign words that could
be translated. They use "Khempakrel" for Edit and
"Oknutiun" for Help. It’s fun reading them. As for the
Mandrake team, I don’t know of the quality of their
work, but they also use foreign words such as
"Koordinator" for Coordinator (a transliteration from
the Russian version of the word.) Don’t we have
"Gazmagerbich" or "Oknagan." I bet a linguist could
suggest others to humble my own.

I think when we have to transliterate Abbreviations
and the like, we better use English letters. Names
such as "CD" can hardly be translated. Transliteration
of "CD" doesn’t help either.

The first steps that, I think, we should take is to
deal with the following:

- The Keyboard Mapping issues.
- Which font to use.
- Unicode or UTF ? (I believe KDE PO’s use UTF, but
probably not other projects)
- How to coordinate and merge the translations.
- Spread the word and reach linguists and others who
could contribute.
- Create a web site where we keep our files, with a
forum for discussion.
- How many versions of Armenian translation, and which
to start with.

>From another side, I have contacted the KDE i18n
coordinator, asking him/her to add an Armenian
Language team, but got no reply. I think we should go
ahead and get down to business. Sooner or later they
will add our team and accept our translations. I think
they will wait to see if we are serious at all or not.

That’s it, let’s hear what everyone thinks.

Cheers,
Ash

=== message truncated ===