List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: clockapplet.po, korganizer.po and date format
From:       Eduard Werner <edi.werner () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-04-29 17:27:49

Štwórtk 29 apryla 200415:12, Adriaan de Groot pisaše:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Heiko Evermann wrote:
> > > Then I'd expect it for format "thursday april 29th 2004" properly as
> > > "ctvrtek
> > > 29 dubna 2004", (mod my inability to type accents) and not "ctvrtek 29
> > > duben
> > > 2004", right?
> >
> > But what is to "do it right in that language"? The first approach might
> > be to display the date according to the language. But this does not solve
> > all the problems:

<snip>

> 3) Some language settings (like whether or not the language has
> NounDeclension) are stored in the locale file.

> I've been concentrating on (3). It seems that running a cs-language
> desktop in a locale that doesn't have NounDeclension set is going to cause
> subtle translation errors. The place where this would really matter is
> when one locale (country) contains two languages with different
> NounDeclension and MonthNamePosessive settings -- and .de, with de and
> hsb, is apparently such a locale.

I can see one more problem: It's getting more difficult for people than it
should be. What I mean is:

There are languages spoken in only one country, so the language settings
should be sufficient here and be able to override other stuff (for example,
before the EUR the currency in Germany was DM in German and hr. in Upper
Sorbian although it's the same money). Not sharing the same flag is another
point. And honestly, in which language is noun declension locale-dependant?
In all cases, it should be sufficient to state that I want a Czech desktop to
get noun declension, shouldn't it?

There are languages spoken in several countries which might to different
things. But aren't we still talking about languages?  So I still think
language settings should override l10n settings and l10n settings should keep
out of language-dependent stuff. And don't forget that even some seemingly
l10n-dependent things aren't: In Austria "Jänner" is the normal word for what
we call in German "Januar" and in Upper Sorbian "januar" or "wulki róžk".
It's not a convention like putting a comma or a dot as a decimal delimiter.

Cheers

Edi