List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: clockapplet.po, korganizer.po and date format
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2004-04-29 13:12:57

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Heiko Evermann wrote:
> > Then I'd expect it for format "thursday april 29th 2004" properly as
> > "ctvrtek
> > 29 dubna 2004", (mod my inability to type accents) and not "ctvrtek 29
> > duben
> > 2004", right?
> But what is to "do it right in that language"? The first approach might be
> to display the date according to the language. But this does not solve all
> the problems:

<many complications snipped>

There are three primary sources of complications here:

1) The location may override some common words of the language (ie.
January is called different in Austria, even when speaking German).

2) The settings of the location may be dependent on the language (ie. [nl]
and [fr] in .be have different date formats).

3) Some language settings (like whether or not the language has
NounDeclension) are stored in the locale file.

I've been concentrating on (3). It seems that running a cs-language
desktop in a locale that doesn't have NounDeclension set is going to cause
subtle translation errors. The place where this would really matter is
when one locale (country) contains two languages with different
NounDeclension and MonthNamePosessive settings -- and .de, with de and
hsb, is apparently such a locale.