List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Prioritising messages
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-02-25 16:48:10

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 17:22, Dwayne Bailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been experimenting with the the gettext message prioritisation
> feature but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with KDE apps which
> seems strange. Here is what I do:
>
> export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/preloadable_libintl.so
> export GETTEXT_LOG_UNTRANSLATED=/home/dwayne/gettext.log
>
> If I run any command line tool eg gettext --help I get messages logged.
> I get quite a few untranslated gtk message etc.
>
> However if I run a KDE app I get nothing logged.  I've tried changing
> locale from the control center and setting LANG variables at the command
> line - nothing.

The answer is perhaps going to shock you but KDE is not using gettext
directly!

So you probably have to hack the catalogue handling functions, be it the
KCatalogue class (files kcatalogue.*) or the libintl.cpp (all are in the
directory kdelibs/kdecore )

For me, the member function KCatalogue::translate seems to be the best point
to hack something.

> This is a very valuable feature as it allows us to direct our efforts at
> programs and messages that the user sees.  I'm sure other people would
> find it useful if the output log was used together with KBabel to direct
> translations to the most valuable messages.

Have a nice day!