List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Prioritising messages
From:       Dwayne Bailey <dwayne () translate ! org ! za>
Date:       2004-02-25 16:22:06

Hi,

I've been experimenting with the the gettext message prioritisation
feature but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with KDE apps which
seems strange. Here is what I do:

export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/preloadable_libintl.so
export GETTEXT_LOG_UNTRANSLATED=/home/dwayne/gettext.log

If I run any command line tool eg gettext --help I get messages logged.
I get quite a few untranslated gtk message etc.

However if I run a KDE app I get nothing logged.  I've tried changing
locale from the control center and setting LANG variables at the command
line - nothing.

This is a very valuable feature as it allows us to direct our efforts at
programs and messages that the user sees.  I'm sure other people would
find it useful if the output log was used together with KBabel to direct
translations to the most valuable messages.

--
Kind regards
Dwayne Bailey

dwayne@translate.org.za   +27-21-448 7827 / 9265 (work)
+27-21-448 9574 (fax)     +27-83-443 7114 (cell)

"An English-only, or even an English-mainly, policy necessarily condemns
most people, and thus the country as a whole, to a permanent state of
mediocrity, since people are unable to be spontaneous, creative and
self-confident if they cannot use their first language"
         Dr Neville Alexander - 'Where English can Serve but not Empower.'

Translate.org.za - Opensource software for all South Africans
A project of the Zuza Software Foundation
Zuza - given freely, get as a gift, obtained freely