List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Reminder KimDaBa release tomorrow.
From:       Jeroen Wijnhout <Jeroen.Wijnhout () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-02-13 13:13:21

On Friday 13 February 2004 13:42, Malcolm Hunter wrote:
> On Friday 13 Feb 2004 08:07, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
> > Yes, is that a problem?
>
> It would mean checking out the whole of kde-i18n just for a few files -
> most of which would need to be deleted before compiling.
>
> > I was far from sure how to only tag relevant files, so I'd rather tag too
> > much than too little. Tagging too little would mean that future
> > translations for the 1.1 branch would show up on HEAD, I expect.
>
> Well KimDaBa is the only program to have a tag in kde-i18n, so it's set a

No, Kile has them too.

> precedence for this. I guess the developers of the other programs haven't
> used branches before for the translations. Maybe a standard needs to be set
> with instructions for developers and translators.

What I do is the following (remember this is kdeextragear specific, since the
rest has to follow the official release schedule):

For each major version number there is a branch (in my case 1.5 to 1.6 is a
change in major version number) in the kdeextragear-2 module. For example I
have two branches:
branch_1_5
branch_1_6
The release are tagged as well:
release_1_6
release_1_6_1
release_1_6_2
etc.

In order to preserve translations within each branch, I branch the kde-i18n
after just after release.

However, only the kile.po files (and some docbook files) need to be branched
(or tagged), certainly not the whole module.

In order to make sure the translation teams do not have to worry about all the
branches of the various KEG apps, we keep a string freeze within the branches
(in my case branch_1_6 should be free of message changes/additions/removals).
So new strings are added to HEAD only, and don't effect the branches.

When packaging the latest version of a stable branch (for example branch_1_6,
version 1.6.2), we only need to grab the kile.po files within that branch
(I'm ignoring the docs for simplicity here). There is a script in
kdeextragear-1/scripts/cvsExtract.sh that does this.

There is a clear advantage to this approach:
o KEG developers can branch their apps and translations.
o Translators do not need to know about those branches, they always translate
HEAD.
o Only few files in kde-i18n need to be tagged by KEG developers (that is only
the files in the kdeextragear-2 subdirs of the kde-i18n module).

Would this be satisfactory for the translators as well?

best,
Jeroen

--
Kile - an Integrated LaTeX Environment for KDE
http://kile.sourceforge.net