List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: new language
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-02-02 4:32:47

Am Sonntag, 01. Februar 2004 21:09 schrieb Nicolas Goutte:

> > Keep in mind that, contrary to Dutch and Frisian, Limburgs
> > is not an official language in The Netherlands. I don't know
> > if this is a problem for becoming part of kde-i18n.
>
> I was told by Thomas Diehl on http://dot.kde.org that having
> an official status for a language is not anymore requested for
> being in kde-i18n

Well, like I also told you: It _never_ was required to have an
"official status" in a country. (On the contrary: It is
important for KDE not to depend on politics anywhere.) Just have
a look at the team page on the i18n server and see how many
"unofficial" languages in this sense we have.

What is not really defined so far is the handling of languages
that don't have an "official" ISO code (like apparently
Limburgs). We try to avoid having dialects and "fun projects" in
kde-i18n. Anyway, the main thing is: The translation must be
maintained, and there should be a realistic chance to get it
into releasable shape in the foreseeable future.

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org