List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: new language
From:       Kevin Donnelly <kevin () dotmon ! com>
Date:       2004-01-29 11:44:24

The following is a reflection on what Rinse and Heiko have said - it's not a
comment on Frisian itself, but on the trials and tribulations of doing a
minority translation.

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 10:22 pm, Rinse de Vries wrote:
> We had about 20 volunteers, and about 5 actual translators.
> i guess we had about 45% of kdelibs (ppptranslations.po not counted)
> translated when the team broke up.

There's no doubt it's difficult, especially for a language where the actual
vocabulary may not exist yet, and people are not entirely sure what is
"correct" and may be scared that their version is "dialectal".

Rightly or wrongly, in KDE Welsh I have taken the view that anything goes.  I
will correct obviously wrong things to the best of my ability, but if one
person uses periphrastic tenses and another uses the impersonal, or one uses
"rwan" for "now" and another uses "nawr", it all stands.  As we have built up
our translation database (Omnivore -
http://www.kyfieithu.co.uk/kartouche/omnivore/index.php?lg=en&), we can see
which words are "by consensus" getting used for particular things, so most
people will use these, and if they don't, again I change them (eg "plygell"
instead of "ffolder" for "folder").

At some point (once the translations is 100%), we will perhaps have to sit
down and do some standardisation, but that can wait.  (We'll have an app
shortly to allow end-users to look up a desktop translation they think is
wrong, and write a correction - I can then commit this if appropriate, and
make a revised .mo file available for download.)  I think it's really
important from the morale point of view to get something translated and
available to show - even if people disagree with it and criticise it, that
may spur others to get involved.  I think Heiko has a good point here - do
something and let others critique it, but bear in mind that the best is the
enemy of the good.  I am not actually a first-language speaker, but I began a
recent talk on the translation effort by saying to my audience (who *were*
first-language speakers) that they were welcome to criticise, but only if
they did something about it themselves - in fact, they all agreed that this
was a valid line to take, and were very supportive.

But I know it's difficult - things have progressed here in fits and starts,
depending on who was available to translate.  A report in the paper can get
you maybe 500 translations - people see the report, go to the website, and
add 20, or in some cases a lot more.  About 5% of our 26,455 strings (about
1300) have been translated by what I would call "passers-by"; 62% was
translated by two people; another 33% by 6 people, 5 of whom seem to have
dropped out, with the other one just started contributing (see the Hall of
Fame at http://www.kyfieithu.co.uk/kartouche/hallfame.php?lg=en).  Much of
this input came after press reports, and if one is lucky one will get someone
who really is committed (even if he/she can only do it for a limited period,
if they submit a couple of thousand translations it can be a real boost).  So
it's important to keep on at the publicity angle, even if it's very
time-consuming.  Heiko is lucky to have someone prepared to do that.

> The problem with Frisian is that I can't write Frisian good enough to
> translate it myself. In our team there were only 4 people with Linux
> installed. All others used Windows.

We have exactly the same problem here - *very* few people are aware of Linux
at all.  That was the reason I did Kartouche, and it might be useful in a
situation where it is desired to make things as simple as possible for
"passers-by" to contribute.

> During the time our team was active, quite a lot of Frisian Linux-users
> contacted us wanting to download the Frisian modules. But none of them
> wanted to help with the project.
> After three months most of the members left the team. We tried for about a
> year to bring new life into the project, but failed.

Yes, it's sad but true - in most "community" projects (eg building a new
village hall, raising money for the local school, translating KDE), only
about 5% of the people concerned will actually get involved.  About another
20% will be willing to help in a vague sort of way, with no commitments,
another 40% will contribute money or moral support if specifically asked, and
the other 35% will do nothing.

With a minority language, you will also get lots of people (even some minority
language speakers themselves) asking "what's the point?".  I think this is
because they assume there is only *one* possible OS, aren't aware of free
software, and can't see any way of persuading the foreign multinational that
makes that one OS to support their titchy little language.  So to a certain
extent there is a big education process involved here as well - believe it or
not, when I am on the phone now explaining this to people, I can actually
*hear* their eyes glaze over!  This will have to be done perhaps a thousand
times before the message begins to percolate.

But as Heiko says, it is an important message.  Without the minority language
available for the most important tool of our age, whole generations of
children will grow up ceding that portion of the language sphere to the
majority language.  So the minority language will be cut off from a huge
chunk of daily life.  This is particularly important in schools, where people
form their first impressions of where it is "proper" or "appropriate" to use
particular linguistic constructs.  If people realise that there is a viable
alternative that is built around their language, they may be willing to go to
sometimes significant lengths to use it.  Someone contacted me after our last
press report, and it is obvious he knows very little about Linux, and had
only just heard about it, but he is buying a boxed set purely on the basis
that GNOME 2.4 supports Welsh, and that the Mandrake install has been
translated into Welsh by someone else.  (KDE will be in Welsh in the next
Mandrake, Fedora is being translated as we speak, and SUSE may be ready by
v10, so things are progressing.)

> There are a lot of Frisian organisations that want to maintain the Frisian
> language for the future (next to Dutch, Frisian is the second official
> language in The Netherlands), we even have a Frisian Academy!! But none of
> them were interested in supporting the project.

Again, this is very true.  Frisian seems to be in a very similar situation to
Welsh (same number of speakers - 600,000, same role in public life and rural
areas, same sort of cultural support).  I'm sure the "official" support
structures are similar.  But I believe we can expect very little help from
official bodies, for a number of reasons:
- it is my experience that the "public sector" is not really very appreciative
of the "voluntary sector", even though they cannot afford to say so; we can't
do much about this except present them with a fait accompli;
- official bodies tend to be conservative, in the sense that they are averse
to taking risks, and will tend to stick with whatever "everyone else" is
using - ideally, we need local pilot studies to show that minority language
support is viable;
- there may be a significant unwillingness to accept that something put
together locally in people's spare time and given away freely could actually
be of more long-term value than something bought in from a large foreign
company with marketing budgets in the millions - nothing can be done here
except engage in a long education process, which is in fact getting easier as
Linux makes its way up the application stack.

I therefore believe that the first necessity is to have something deliverable,
ie KDE in the minority language on a running system.  The second is to try to
plug in to the cultural bodies relating to the minority language, which is
again, unfortunately, a long-term process.  But if you can demo something
interesting to enough people, they will themselves start asking why this is
not being supported.  In Wales, we are at the start of this process now, and
over the next 4 months we want to create a liveCD using all the Welsh
software translated so far, so that we can distribute this to show to as many
schools and businesses as possible (I'm not sure yet where we'll get the
money!).

A longer-term necessity is to see whether the existing legislative framework
relating to the minority language gives it any special status.  For example,
if any citizen is supposed to be able to use either language in their
dealings with official bodies, should that not also apply to information
terminals, school PCs used by children, or PCs used by minority language
speakers in government offices?  If so, there may be a legal requirement to
support systems that will provide an interface in either the minority or
majority language, as opposed to systems that provide only the majority
language.  You may have a language campaign group in Frisia which would be
interested in following this up.

Of course, others may wake up to this too.  Microsoft, playing catch-up, has
just announced that it will now provide a Welsh "skin" for WinXP and MSOffice
:-)  It is entirely coincidental that this happens after significant progress
on a Welsh desktop, as happened in other similar language areas (Nynorsk,
Catalan, Maltese) ...  But of course it's good for the language!

--

Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

www.kyfieithu.co.uk - Meddalwedd Rhydd yn Gymraeg