The following is a reflection on what Rinse and Heiko have said - it's not a comment on Frisian itself, but on the trials and tribulations of doing a minority translation. On Wednesday 28 January 2004 10:22 pm, Rinse de Vries wrote: > We had about 20 volunteers, and about 5 actual translators. > i guess we had about 45% of kdelibs (ppptranslations.po not counted) > translated when the team broke up. There's no doubt it's difficult, especially for a language where the actual vocabulary may not exist yet, and people are not entirely sure what is "correct" and may be scared that their version is "dialectal". Rightly or wrongly, in KDE Welsh I have taken the view that anything goes. I will correct obviously wrong things to the best of my ability, but if one person uses periphrastic tenses and another uses the impersonal, or one uses "rwan" for "now" and another uses "nawr", it all stands. As we have built up our translation database (Omnivore - http://www.kyfieithu.co.uk/kartouche/omnivore/index.php?lg=en&), we can see which words are "by consensus" getting used for particular things, so most people will use these, and if they don't, again I change them (eg "plygell" instead of "ffolder" for "folder"). At some point (once the translations is 100%), we will perhaps have to sit down and do some standardisation, but that can wait. (We'll have an app shortly to allow end-users to look up a desktop translation they think is wrong, and write a correction - I can then commit this if appropriate, and make a revised .mo file available for download.) I think it's really important from the morale point of view to get something translated and available to show - even if people disagree with it and criticise it, that may spur others to get involved. I think Heiko has a good point here - do something and let others critique it, but bear in mind that the best is the enemy of the good. I am not actually a first-language speaker, but I began a recent talk on the translation effort by saying to my audience (who *were* first-language speakers) that they were welcome to criticise, but only if they did something about it themselves - in fact, they all agreed that this was a valid line to take, and were very supportive. But I know it's difficult - things have progressed here in fits and starts, depending on who was available to translate. A report in the paper can get you maybe 500 translations - people see the report, go to the website, and add 20, or in some cases a lot more. About 5% of our 26,455 strings (about 1300) have been translated by what I would call "passers-by"; 62% was translated by two people; another 33% by 6 people, 5 of whom seem to have dropped out, with the other one just started contributing (see the Hall of Fame at http://www.kyfieithu.co.uk/kartouche/hallfame.php?lg=en). Much of this input came after press reports, and if one is lucky one will get someone who really is committed (even if he/she can only do it for a limited period, if they submit a couple of thousand translations it can be a real boost). So it's important to keep on at the publicity angle, even if it's very time-consuming. Heiko is lucky to have someone prepared to do that. > The problem with Frisian is that I can't write Frisian good enough to > translate it myself. In our team there were only 4 people with Linux > installed. All others used Windows. We have exactly the same problem here - *very* few people are aware of Linux at all. That was the reason I did Kartouche, and it might be useful in a situation where it is desired to make things as simple as possible for "passers-by" to contribute. > During the time our team was active, quite a lot of Frisian Linux-users > contacted us wanting to download the Frisian modules. But none of them > wanted to help with the project. > After three months most of the members left the team. We tried for about a > year to bring new life into the project, but failed. Yes, it's sad but true - in most "community" projects (eg building a new village hall, raising money for the local school, translating KDE), only about 5% of the people concerned will actually get involved. About another 20% will be willing to help in a vague sort of way, with no commitments, another 40% will contribute money or moral support if specifically asked, and the other 35% will do nothing. With a minority language, you will also get lots of people (even some minority language speakers themselves) asking "what's the point?". I think this is because they assume there is only *one* possible OS, aren't aware of free software, and can't see any way of persuading the foreign multinational that makes that one OS to support their titchy little language. So to a certain extent there is a big education process involved here as well - believe it or not, when I am on the phone now explaining this to people, I can actually *hear* their eyes glaze over! This will have to be done perhaps a thousand times before the message begins to percolate. But as Heiko says, it is an important message. Without the minority language available for the most important tool of our age, whole generations of children will grow up ceding that portion of the language sphere to the majority language. So the minority language will be cut off from a huge chunk of daily life. This is particularly important in schools, where people form their first impressions of where it is "proper" or "appropriate" to use particular linguistic constructs. If people realise that there is a viable alternative that is built around their language, they may be willing to go to sometimes significant lengths to use it. Someone contacted me after our last press report, and it is obvious he knows very little about Linux, and had only just heard about it, but he is buying a boxed set purely on the basis that GNOME 2.4 supports Welsh, and that the Mandrake install has been translated into Welsh by someone else. (KDE will be in Welsh in the next Mandrake, Fedora is being translated as we speak, and SUSE may be ready by v10, so things are progressing.) > There are a lot of Frisian organisations that want to maintain the Frisian > language for the future (next to Dutch, Frisian is the second official > language in The Netherlands), we even have a Frisian Academy!! But none of > them were interested in supporting the project. Again, this is very true. Frisian seems to be in a very similar situation to Welsh (same number of speakers - 600,000, same role in public life and rural areas, same sort of cultural support). I'm sure the "official" support structures are similar. But I believe we can expect very little help from official bodies, for a number of reasons: - it is my experience that the "public sector" is not really very appreciative of the "voluntary sector", even though they cannot afford to say so; we can't do much about this except present them with a fait accompli; - official bodies tend to be conservative, in the sense that they are averse to taking risks, and will tend to stick with whatever "everyone else" is using - ideally, we need local pilot studies to show that minority language support is viable; - there may be a significant unwillingness to accept that something put together locally in people's spare time and given away freely could actually be of more long-term value than something bought in from a large foreign company with marketing budgets in the millions - nothing can be done here except engage in a long education process, which is in fact getting easier as Linux makes its way up the application stack. I therefore believe that the first necessity is to have something deliverable, ie KDE in the minority language on a running system. The second is to try to plug in to the cultural bodies relating to the minority language, which is again, unfortunately, a long-term process. But if you can demo something interesting to enough people, they will themselves start asking why this is not being supported. In Wales, we are at the start of this process now, and over the next 4 months we want to create a liveCD using all the Welsh software translated so far, so that we can distribute this to show to as many schools and businesses as possible (I'm not sure yet where we'll get the money!). A longer-term necessity is to see whether the existing legislative framework relating to the minority language gives it any special status. For example, if any citizen is supposed to be able to use either language in their dealings with official bodies, should that not also apply to information terminals, school PCs used by children, or PCs used by minority language speakers in government offices? If so, there may be a legal requirement to support systems that will provide an interface in either the minority or majority language, as opposed to systems that provide only the majority language. You may have a language campaign group in Frisia which would be interested in following this up. Of course, others may wake up to this too. Microsoft, playing catch-up, has just announced that it will now provide a Welsh "skin" for WinXP and MSOffice :-) It is entirely coincidental that this happens after significant progress on a Welsh desktop, as happened in other similar language areas (Nynorsk, Catalan, Maltese) ... But of course it's good for the language! -- Best wishes Kevin Donnelly www.kyfieithu.co.uk - Meddalwedd Rhydd yn Gymraeg