List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    KEG i18n policy (was Re: K3b - my apologies)
From:       Jeroen Wijnhout <Jeroen.Wijnhout () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-01-27 16:29:54

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 16:00, Erik K. Pedersen wrote:
> scripty only produces pot-files from KEG for the HEAD branch, so it seems
> to me that if each program announces a reasonable freeze period, then the
> authors of the programs should be able to make copies of those translations
> that are complete for their releases. Right now we have a special situation
> with scripty not running, but generally that is how it ought to be. You are
> leaving open the possibility that i am siting here translating your program
> to Danish, while you are having somebody else doing the same thing, without
> telling me.
>
> Erik

Ok, I propose the following policy for KEG:

* Feature freezes should be announced at the kde-i18n-doc mailinglist and the
KEG website (this is not a new requirement).

* Translators that belong to a KEG team should join the appropriate
translation team.

* Po files, edited outside of the translation team, should be sent to the
corresponding translation coordinator and ask him/her to apply it to the
correct branch. If the translation team was also working on the same file,
the file should be merged if possible (if not the translation of the i18n
team takes precedence).

Please comment/modify/add.

There is still a big problem. KEG apps have branches too, therefore the i18n
modules should be branched accordingly. This means more work for scripty and
the translators (they will have to know about the various branches). Any
ideas how to deal with this?

best,
Jeroen

--