List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: GPLNotice
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-12-08 1:55:17

On Sunday 07 December 2003 22.58, you wrote:
> Søndag 07 december 2003 04:00   skrev Lauri Watts:
> > On Sunday 07 December 2003 20.28, Erik K. Pedersen wrote:
> > > I wonder why the entity GPLNotice is defined in general.entities and
> > > not in lang.entities, so it gets translated. I have only seen it used
> > > once, in kcachegrind, most other places it is underGPL that gets used,
> > > and that is translated. A lot of teams have translated
> > > gpl-notice.docbook, so I don't think GPLNotice should be in
> > > general.entities.
> >
> > Historical Reasons.  It shouldn't be used at all, in fact.
> >
> > That said, I'm not entirely sure of the problem.  If you already have it
> > translated, there is nothing to do, if you don't, and don't wish to, then
> > the english version will be inserted.
> >
> > Regards,
>
> I have it translated and addede it to lang.entites, but the English version
> gets used because that gets preference, and that makes it look rather
> funny. Most over the other docbooks use underGPL not GPLNotice.

Oh I see what you mean, but those are for completely different things.

&underGPL; is pretty much a simple link to the GPL, and applies to the
license *for the application*.  Certainly in the credits and license chapter
of any document, this is the one to use, anything else should be changed.

&GPLNotice; is the notice on the front page of the document, stating what
license *the document* is under.  It's usually &FDLNotice;

As far as I know, this notice must appear in English, because only the English
version is legally binding.  It can't be changed without the permission of
the copyright  holders, but I have written to the author to check they did
specifically intend to license the document differently from the rest of them
- it's quite possibly an oversight.  I'll let you know how that turns out.

Regards
--
Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/