List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    CVS String Freeze and how it affects documentation
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-10-28 19:14:58

Just a reminder how we did this for 3.0 and 3.1, which seemed to work fairly
well, so hey, let's do it again.

Docs are now frozen, i will generate a final set of templates, and that will
be it.  Teams translating documents need to remember to generate docbook
files out of finished translations,  and please, ask for help if you hit any
kind of problem i can possibly help with.

However, there is still some time to go, and stopping writing in English now
is silly, so, as before I will hold (outside of CVS) patches for any updates
between now and the final release.

I'll commit all the patches on the final day.  This will allow us to slip in
updated documentation for the 3.2 release without upsetting the string
freeze, and i18n will have the 3.2.x branch to catch up these changes.

Any team so far ahead of schedule as to have time to update these pre 3.2, can
have the patches to apply locally and update their own translation.  If
anyone wants to do this and doesn't already know how, I know several of the
team coordinators have posted howto's and scripts for this in the past, so
I'll help you find them.  If you want, I can make them available on the web
and post a reminder every few days until release.

There could be a possible exception for entirely new documents: There are
several KControl modules that are brand new, and have never had any document
at all yet, can they be permitted in a similar manner to the 'making
untranslateable strings available' rule?  I'm open to going either way on
that, I totally don't mind holding them with the others, but I can also see
where you might want them committed directly - I'll go with the consensus on
that one.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts