List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [Warning: omitted abbreviations?] "Folder" or "Directory"?
From:       "Erik K. Pedersen" <erik () binghamton ! edu>
Date:       2003-10-25 14:34:43

Fredag 24 oktober 2003 02:49   skrev Gregory Mokhin:
> Are you going to change also $KDEDIR to $KDEFOL? Sorry for the irony,
> but I have been working with CLI commands in Linux for years, with
> 'cd', 'mkdir' etc., so I'm sort of allergic to "folder"...

 I changed the Danish translations so directory was translated to the
equivalent of folder a long time ago, and I use konsole a lot, but I never
encounter the term folder anyway. It is in the tips and various other places
that newbies typically meet, and I think it is absurd that a newbie should
all of a sudden be confronted with the word "directory" when he/she finally
gets around to the command line.

I think directory should be changed to folder everywhere except probably
kdevelop

We have to remember who we are doing this for. We are making a GUI for users,
not for developers, and we should not try tp put up artificial obstacles

Erik