List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    tristate handling of numbers (none, 1, more)
From:       Eduard Werner <edi.werner () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-05-29 11:06:36

Hi all,

I don't remember the exact thread but it was about having a linguistically
correct 'no element' instead of the computer-lingo '0 elements' in the KDE
messages. Someone said having a tristate instead (0,1, more) would be
trivial. Please consider this as at least a four-state (0,1,2,more) since
there are languages with more than two numbers: In Europe already, Slovenian,
Upper Sorbian, Lower Sorbian and some Finno-Ugric languages have a dual
number, other languages
in America, Africa and Australia have even more. For me, translating msgids
like "Local Printers" or "The certificates have been successfully imported"
are problematic because in Upper Sorbian, this should read

Lokalnej ćišćakaj

and

Certifikataj buštej wuspěšnje importowanej

if there are *two* of them, and

Lokalne ćišćaki

and

Certifikaty buchu wuspěšnje importowane