List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    kbabel and po-format
From:       Eduard Werner <edi.werner () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-05-21 5:40:16

Hi,

after about a week of work with kbabel and friends I'm very satisfied about
these great tools (excellent job, guys!) but I still have some problems.
Sorry if these are FAQ but I couldn't find an answer to the following:

1) When translating, I'm quite often in doubt about the best translation and
sometimes about the meaning of a certain item. I'd then like to be able and
look into other translations automatically (e.g. I'd like to see the Czech and
the German translations when searching for a Sorbian equivalent). Can kbabel
be configured to do this? I guess this would be a great help to most
translators.

2) In translations of msgids like

  While typing in the text area, you may be presented with possible
  matches. This feature can be controlled by clicking with the right mouse
  button and selecting a preferred mode from the <b>Text Completion</b> menu.

I'm missing a variable instead of a hardcoded string like "Text Completion".
This way, I have to ensure *by hand* that my menu is really called "Text
Completion" and not something else. Furthermore, if I decide to change the
name of the menu I again have to hunt for occurrences in other modules.

3) In dialogs like

What do you want to keep in this folder? Messages or subfolders?

some languages require the distinction of nominative and accusative case
(e.g. Esperanto, Lithuanian, Hungarian). Something similar is true is true
about the names of the days of the Week or months when they occur in dates
(when you would need a genitive case for some Slavic languages).

4) Some languages distinct forms according to gender. For these cases, there
would also be a possibility of asking the user and store the value in the
configuration. BTW, the %n stuff is missing in quite some places. (Just
search for  "(s)" in the msgids.)

5) As kbabel sometimes bails out unexpectedly, an autosave feature would be
great, too.

Cheers, and keep up the good work

Edi