List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: some feedbacks
From:       Michal Rudolf <mrudolf () mercury ! ci ! uw ! edu ! pl>
Date:       2003-02-13 16:15:47

W czwartek, 13 lutego 2003 16:03, Lukáı Tinkl napisa³:

>> 2. and what is
>>
>> "_n: translators: not called for n == 1\n"
>> "Do you really want to delete these %n items"
>>
>> in kio/kfile/kdiroperator.cpp:
>> How can I translate it?
>
>Only as if it were a plural (e.g. not for singular). The number of entries
>will be <your plural forms' count> - 1

The message is incorrect - AFAIK it was discussed before.
For some languages ending for n=1 is also used for some other forms (f. e.
21, 101 or 1001). We shouldn't consider English only.

For this reason it is almost always better to use single message

"_n: Do you really want to delete this item\n"
"Do you really want to delete these %n items"

instead of dividing it into two.

--
Micha³ Rudolf