List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Additional characters
From:       Dwayne Bailey <dwayne () obsidian ! co ! za>
Date:       2002-12-12 6:42:28

Thomas Diehl wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 4. Dezember 2002 12:27 schrieb Dwayne Bailey:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>This is probably simple for those of you who translate langauges with
>>characters outside of my English 26 letter alphabet :)
>>
>>How do you type characters like the following
>>
>>  \/
>>
>>We have a few of these characters in som eof the languages I manage.
>>
>>I know I've heard of dead-letter keys.  So I need to setup the keyboard
>>differently for these langauges?  How to I type these characters in KBabel.
>

> Theoretically, KBabel (and KWord) offer the same Alt+NumPad mechanism as you
> probably know from Windows/Mac and other systems. Unfortunately, it is not
> yet implemented in Qt and KCharSelect does not show the numbers in its status
> bar (or where ever). I think Stanislav tried to get better support from both
> sides, maybe he can jump in here. -- Otherwise you probably need to use
> xmodmap or something like that.

In answer to myself.  This is what we've done to allow quick and easy
selection of special characters on a us keyboard.

Run Kcharselect kicker app.  You can select characters from kcharselect
(the main app) and paste them to the kicker app.  The kicker app allos
you to select the characters and paste.

A good enough solution until we sort out keyboard deadkeys.

--
Kind regards
Dwayne Bailey

Obsidian Systems
dwayne@obsidian.co.za     +27-21-448 9265 (work)
+27-21-448 9574 (fax)     +27-83-443 7114 (cell)

"An English-only, or even an English-mainly, policy necessarily condemns
most people, and thus the country as a whole, to a permanent state of
mediocrity, since people are unable to be spontaneous, creative and
self-confident if they cannot use their first language"
          Dr Neville Alexander - 'Where English can Serve but not Empower.'