List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    RE: Lao Team ready
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-06 18:16:08

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002 12:33:25 -0500, Anousak wrote:

>Thanks, Thomas, for your suggestion. I have looked at below how-to
>compile own language.
>
>> cvs co -l kde-i18n
>> cvs co kde-i18n/da
>> cvs co kde-common
>> cd kde-i18n
>> ln -s ../kde-common/admin admin
>> edit subdirs to remove all other languages
>> make -f Makefile.cvs
>> ./configure
>> make
>>
>> and then of course make install
>>
>> without the editing of subdirs it did not work.

Please also note the comment in the original posting that you should
NOT use the subdirs file but something called inst-apps.

>Question is whether I can do it from my workstation or not. Or it has to
>be from using the above CVS procedure?

Not sure I understand the question. Anyway you need a local CVS
repository on your workstation to do about anything in KDE translation
or development, esp. if you are a (language) coordinator.

>Here is what I have downloaded from
>ftp://ftp.i18n.kde.org/pub/i18n-templates/ and working on:
>
>1. kdelibs.pot
>2. desktop_kde-i18n.pot
>3. desktop_kdelibs.pot
>3. files under kdebase directory
>
>Anything else that I may have missed? All these files are the same that
>you mentioned from the kde-i1n8 root directory?

Basically yes. But I don't know to which branch they belong. And since
you are expected to use CVS for uploading your work later on (after
your language was set up) you'd better make yourself familiar as soon
as possible. See the respective sections and links in the Translation
HOWTO on this subject.

Until then you may have a look at the Web interface at
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ and esp.
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kde-i18n/templates/. It also
allows filtering for branches.

>What about getting files from either HEAD BRANCE of 3.2 or 3.1?

Like I said: the HEAD branch (in WebCVS: "default branch") is meant to
become 3.2. Its strings will change continously for the next months
(until we declare a message freeze for 3.2). So if you see a chance to
create a basic Lao translation in the next few months which could go
out with say 3.1.2, 3.1.3 or something like that you'd better get POT
files from the 3_1_BRANCH (which should remain unchanged).

Soon as you take a closer look at some CVS basics (no need to study the
whole thing) all this will become a lot clearer.

Regards,

Thomas

---
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/