List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    RE: Lao Team ready
From:       "Anousak" <anousak () muanglao ! com>
Date:       2002-12-06 17:33:25

Thanks, Thomas, for your suggestion. I have looked at below how-to
compile own language.

> cvs co -l kde-i18n
> cvs co kde-i18n/da
> cvs co kde-common
> cd kde-i18n
> ln -s ../kde-common/admin admin
> edit subdirs to remove all other languages
> make -f Makefile.cvs
> ./configure
> make
>
> and then of course make install
>
> without the editing of subdirs it did not work.

Question is whether I can do it from my workstation or not. Or it has to
be from using the above CVS procedure?

You said:

For setting up your language in CVS I'd need a (complete) translation
of kdelibs and the desktop files in the kde-i18n root directory.
Additonally, a 75% translation of kdebase will be the usual requirement
to get your work officially distributed.

Question is whether to use POT files from HEAD branch in CVS at this
point (which will not be released before KDE 3.2, probably some time in
summer/fall 2003) or to use POT files from KDE_3_1_BRANCH. From there
we will have 3.1.x releases every few weeks, starting probably sometime
in January.

My answers:

I will have to finish above before you can do anything for me at this
point.

Here is what I have downloaded from
ftp://ftp.i18n.kde.org/pub/i18n-templates/ and working on:

1. kdelibs.pot
2. desktop_kde-i18n.pot
3. desktop_kdelibs.pot
3. files under kdebase directory

Anything else that I may have missed? All these files are the same that
you mentioned from the kde-i1n8 root directory?

What about getting files from either HEAD BRANCE of 3.2 or 3.1?  Please
do let me know which is appropriate for me to download and work on.

Thanks,

Sak

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 10:44:00 -0500, Anousak wrote:

>First of all,
>
>I have been working to resolve Qt problem for the last 3 months for Lao
>support and finally it's working now. Thanks to Pablo and Qt folks for
>their great help.

Great.

>My plan:
>
>Complete all necessary KDE modules like kdelibs.po, desktop.po, and
>kdebase. After that I like to work on kword, konquerbrowser, kmail, and
>kspread.

For setting up your language in CVS I'd need a (complete) translation
of kdelibs and the desktop files in the kde-i18n root directory.
Additonally, a 75% translation of kdebase will be the usual requirement
to get your work officially distributed.

Question is whether to use POT files from HEAD branch in CVS at this
point (which will not be released before KDE 3.2, probably some time in
summer/fall 2003) or to use POT files from KDE_3_1_BRANCH. From there
we will have 3.1.x releases every few weeks, starting probably some
time in January.

>Questions:
>
>1. Is it possible to compile the above modules independently and run
it?
>If so, what are steps?

As for compiling translations see eg
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-i18n-doc&m=99599904622103&w=2. For using
the desktop files they need to be in CVS (where they will be merged
into the respective files in other modules by a script).

>2. Will my selected or translation font be a DEFAULT one?

No. (Not entirely sure if I even understand the question though.)

>Or will it be
>something else? If not, how I can specify to use that particular Lao
>UNIOCDE font?

If your Lao font is in any format supported by the Font Installer in
the Control Center it should be easy enough to install it for use in
KDE. After that you can set KBabel (or even all KDE) to use it.

Regards,

Thomas

---
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/