List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Please do not use automated translation systems nor external CVS repositories, or do it with car
From:       Éric Bischoff <e.bischoff () noos ! fr>
Date:       2002-11-22 22:02:34

Le Friday 22 November 2002 18:35, Thomas Diehl a écrit:
> Am Freitag, 22. November 2002 17:23 schrieb Éric Bischoff:
> > > I usually do a cvs up and then copy over that with my new translation
> > > (advice  picked up on this list actually :)
> >
> > A very bad advice indeed.
>
> This one was probably by me. ;-)

Sorry ;-)

> > "cvs up" should be done right before starting to work. If you do that
> > way, the probability of a conflict is very, very reduced.
> >
> > 	cvs up
> > 	your modifications on the uploaded files
> > 	cvs commit
>
> This is, of course, what I do. But since the automatic merge for German
> usually happens while I'm working on the files it does not help too much.

Oh. I hope you don't bet money nor play loto ;-).

> And, of course it does not help with the many files other translators send
> to me.

That's the point.

> Since KBabel is pretty bad in its handling of files with version
> conflicts and I usually don't have the time to solve them manually in
> KWrite in dozens of files I'm getting daily before releases I simply arrive
> at the above advice. Sorry.

Well, theoretically you could do manual msgmerges in cases of conflicts.

That would work, but I agree it would not by by any means practical, and would
cost you a lot of time.

Coolo, what do you think ?

> Don't think you can really compare a developer working on a set of (usually
> well defined and usually not so many) files with only a few patches now and
> then to the situation described above.

Right.

--
Calling their ennemies "terrorists" was the excuse for
the nazis to do whatever violation of the human rights.