List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Please do not use automated translation systems nor external CVS repositories, or do it with car
From:       Éric Bischoff <e.bischoff () noos ! fr>
Date:       2002-11-22 21:56:43

Le Friday 22 November 2002 18:54, vous avez écrit:
> Fredag 22 november 2002 04:23   skrev Éric Bischoff:
> > This is what CVS is all about : being able of having several people
> > writing concurrently the same files. It has been working for years with
> > the developpers, it should not make problems among the translators. You
> > just have to accept that you do not "own" the files.
>
> I think the point you are missing is that this works very well for
> developers because they all have cvs accounts. I certainly have taught the
> various translators to do a cvs up before they send me the files, but if I
> am not there to commit them immediately, I would run into the same
> problems.

Right. I have no solution to that.

> I may have done that this summer when I was traveling a bit. When
> I am only able to see my e-mail once or twice a week, I would do a cvs up,
> put in the files that had been mailed to me and a cvs commit. How am I
> supposed to be sure I am not reverting something in that situation?
>
> I believe more in Lauris suggestion to find a good way to "know" when there
> have been changes made, not by me, and I intend to start doing that.

Yes, it's a good idea.

However, it works for me, Thomas, Stephan and Lauri, because we commit only
for maintainance reasons, so we do not do that too often. But it does not
prevent from reverting Scripty's commits.

Well, it's not too bad, as Scripty will patiently redo his work a few days
later... as long as you do not revert _every_ commit from scripty as I have
seen it in one team ;-).

> I have also sometimes done my own merges because I did not have the time to
> wait for that central merge, and that has led to conflicts. But recently
> the system has actually been working very well.

OK.

--
Calling their ennemies "terrorists" was the excuse for
the nazis to do whatever violation of the human rights.