List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    RE: New error strings: i18n() or not?
From:       "Best, Jan-Pascal van" <j.p.vanbest () tbm ! tudelft ! nl>
Date:       2002-10-29 9:05:49

Stephan Kulow schreef op 29 oktober 2002:
> Am Tuesday 29 October 2002 08:58 schrieb Best, Jan-Pascal van:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've had some hard-to-track bug reports on the
> > KOrganizer Exchange plugin, mainly because in
> > KDE3.1 beta1 the plugin gave hardly any user
> > feedback. I'd like to add some error-reporting
> > code to the plugin, but that would include some
> > strings that are displayed to the user, like
> > "The Exchange server could not be reached or returned an error",
> > "Server response could not be interpreted",
> > "Appointment data could not be interpreted", etc.
> >
> > This error-reporting patch (with some more
> > code in the kdepim-exchange library) is under
> > review on the kde-pim list right now, but I'd l
> > ike to know what to do with the error strings.
> > Would the i18n folks prefer to have these go
> > in without i18n() for KDE3.1, so that they
> > don't show up in your "Things to do - urgent"
> > lists?
> >
> Either you do not put it in at all (and respect the
> message freeze) or you put it in as normal and give
> the translators a last minute chance to catch up.

In that case, when Cornelius has looked over the
patch and if he agrees to it, I'll check it in as
it is.

> In general untranslated error strings are prefered
> over crashes. But you should make sure that these
> strings are really only shown in rare conditions and
> not add e.g. a greeting string or change already
> existant strings "because it looks better".

No, they're "real" error messages that show up
when "something" goes wrong in the communication
with an exchange server. That "something" may be
caused by an error in in the server address or
user name, though. I suspect something like that
is happening in at least one of the error reports
I've had, but I can't really find out now.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Jan-Pascal