List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] knorskverbs and kverbos
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-26 10:41:22

On Friday 26 July 2002 11:56, Thorsten Mürell wrote:
> >> the aim of kverbos isn't to be a dictionary. It is to train the
> >> conjugations of verbs and the program can conjugate the verbs. Something
> >> that a vocabulary trainer can't do.
> >
> >When I tried kvoctrain the last time, there was also included the ability
> > to add verbs and their conjugated forms. So there is also the possiblity
> > to train it.
>
> You're right and that's exactly the point. Many developers don't know about
> the abilities of other programs even about those in the same module.
> KVoctrain could easily replace kverbos. It is even almost the same.

Yes, same with knorkverbs.

> >My personal problem with kvoctrain is only, that I don't understand the
> >interface. Each time I want to test it, I don't know where to start. Maybe
> > we can do some polishing here?
>
> Perhaps the developer could write a tutorial for the handbook. I hope Ewald
> Arnold reads this list and tries to improve his program in respect to this
> point.

Yes, well.... Maybe I am particularly lazy, but on the other hand, I think
that there are many users like me....
The point is, that I never read first a handbook and then use the app. The app
must provide basic usability without the necessity to read the handbook. In
OpenSource you never know how valuable an app is to you, so I first check at
a glance, if the application is usable and of interest. That doesn't mean,
that I never read handbooks, but in my opinion, handbooks should help in
situations where it gets really difficult, but not right in the beginning.

In order to help the user the naming of actions and configuration options are
very important. Also the original set of toolbuttons can help very much (an
advanced user can reconfigure the toolbuttons) and their grouping.

Another thing that is often missing in apps (not so sure if that is the case
for kvoctrain) are tooltips and much more important - 'What's this'
information. The 'What's this'-system is really powerful, because it provides
help to the user in a particular situation. There is no need for the user to
search in the handbook and it still provides much more information than a
toolbutton icon, an menu entry name and the tooltip can give.

well, again: *just my 2 cents*

Greetings,
eva