List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Kiten
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-25 9:24:02

Am Donnerstag, 25. Juli 2002 01:45 schrieb Jason Katz-Brown:

> Sorry, I did not realize this list was required reading, I should
> subscribe.. thanks to neil for pointing the thread out.

I also sent some of the complaints to kde-edu-devel.

> I know many many more Non-Japanese that use Kiten than Japanese people
> (maybe they are too quiet :) that use Kiten. Japanese seems to be a popular
> language (or at least the demand for looking up words), just because Anime
> and Manga are popular. Not to mention a Chinese and German dictionary works
> as well. However, I don't think this is the best reason; I don't really see
> a problem. If translators make claims that 99.9% of their users won't use
> an app, then doesn't it make sense not to translate it?

No. Most language teams are aiming for fully translated user environments and
(apparently) think that KDE proper should only contain programs of "more
general interest". It is, of course, debatable what's really "general
interest". But I think we can safely assume that programs for learning just
one single language (like apparently Kiten, KVerbos, and Knorskverbs) are
_not_ "general interest" by any stretch of imagination. The counterexample
would be KVoctrain which tries to support any language in any direction.

This, of course, does also _not_ mean specialized programs were unimportant
for their users. (I have to work a lot under Windows myself exactly because
of the lack of such specialized programs.) But, IMO, they do not belong to
KDE core, they belong to kdeextragear. This was one of the reasons we created
this module in the first place.

> The last thing I want, though, is translators feeling like they spent the
>  last hour translating 200 messages for nothing. That wouldn't be good for
>  anybody. Thanks,

I'm sure, all translators (or users) interested in these programs will easily
find them in extragear and work on them. Are you okay with moving Kiten
there?

Regards,

Thomas

--