List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kdeedu
From:       Gudmund Areskoug <fta () algonet ! se>
Date:       2002-04-26 7:59:48

Hi,

it seems I must have misunderstood you, my apologies to you and
Erik!

Thomas Diehl wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 24. April 2002 14:56 schrieb Gudmund Areskoug:
>
> > Perhaps I misunderstand you, but it seems to me that deciding what
> > is of regional interest must be very difficult, if not impossible.
>
> I think it is easy enough. If eg the design of a program for spelling or
> pronounciation training does not allow the training for other languages it
> should not be in KDE core. Maybe we can create KDE_de, KDE_zh, KDE_vi for
> such cases one day. But we cannot expect all the teams to translate extra
> programs for every single language.
>
> > Perhaps training spanish pronunciation is only really interesting in
> > all countries *but* the spanish-speaking ones?
>
> We are also talking stuff for children here where they can learn how to
> spell and pronounce the letters for their own language.

What I meant is this:

For these kind of apps (and probably a few others), there's GUI,
doc's and content, and GUI and doc's should somehow be kept apart
from the content. If the content is (conceivably) localizable, it
should be made obvious.

I think it's only if the GUI and/or the doc's aren't localizable,
that it probably doesn't belong in the standard distribution. Having
the content localizable (available in a sensible form, and
preferrably in English) would of course be nice, but shouldn't be a
requirement.

And then it wouldn't matter for whom the app was originally
intended.

Perhaps having the programmers putting content in a subdirectory of
its own (/content) would facilitate things. But that probably
belongs in another list (which one(s)?).

> > I'd be overjoyed to
> > find pronunciation training for Brazilian Portuguese, which is
> > virtually impossible to find otherwise in Sweden.
>
> Nobody keeps you from writing

I know, but

> or using programs like this.

availability does prevent me from using them. Even if I wrote such a
program myself, I still couldn't put Brazilian Portuguese
pronunciation into it. KDE (and GNU/Linux in general) has often been
a good place for at least me to find this kind of international
stuff.

BR,
Gudmund