List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: [kde-edu]: Re: kdeedu
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-25 6:16:19

Am Mittwoch, 24. April 2002 22:50 schrieb Waldo Bastian:

> On Wednesday 24 April 2002 12:43 pm, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> > > Policy: We are trying to define a policy.
> > > Isn't it educative to learn spanish verbs? or Norvegian verbs?
> >
> > I guess I will have to look on the programs in questions before I can
> > comment on that one. But I would maintain that they have to meet the
> > above guidelines. _If_ they cannot be used with lots of additional
> > training material or are only of regional interest they should not be
> > in KDE. You cannot compare this to an editor which gets translated to
> > 50 languages and can be used worldwide by everybody in need of such a
> > program.
>
> It should be taken into account that these programs are quite new. You
> can't expect to have a program that pops up out of the blue and that can
> be used to train every language under the sun.
>
> That should of course be the ultimate goal for such a program but it
> won't happen overnight.

Sure. But I would like to stress this last point: It should be clear from
the beginning that the program _can_ be used to train every language under
the sun or at least a large family of languages. (Which is pretty hard to
achieve though.) And that it is usable _in_ every language under the sun to
learn those languages (be it the same language or a foreign language).

See (once more) KVocTrain, KTuberling or KTouch for what I mean.

> KFM in KDE 1.0 wasn't a very complete webbrowser
> either and it took a few years and a bunch of redesign to turn it into
> Konqueror as we know it today.

Don't think you can really compare this. KFM was usable all along in every
available KDE language and for all KDE users until Konqueror came up to
replace it. And even then lots of KFM translations could be used for
Konqueror.

I don't think anybody would have tried to get a KFM into KDE which would
have been a lot of work to KDE translators while being actually unusable in
their countries. And this is the problem we have to avoid with those edu
programs I'm afraid. Every program getting into the main distribution must
be worthwhile for the work of 50+ translation teams and should be properly
i18n-ed before being included into a release. If this is not possible until
then it should be moved to kdenonbeta. If it is not possible _by design_ it
should not be in KDE core at all.

Regards,

Thomas

--