List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Quanta.po
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-20 8:51:46

Am Mittwoch, 19. Dezember 2001 09:50 schrieb Jaime Robles:

> A Spanish translator has told me that he has found that the quanta.po
> version in sourceforge is MUCH newer than the kde's cvs one.
> With MUCH i mean 5 months...
>
> I think he should translate the "kde's cvs" one but... there are more
> than 100 entries in the other...
>
> Do you have an advice? Why we have an old version?

I forwarded several mails of this thread to Eric Lafoon. For excerpts from
his reply please see below.

Regards,

Thomas

Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Quanta.po
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:47:53 -0800
From: Eric Laffoon <sequitur@easystreet.com>
To: Thomas Diehl <thd@kde.org>, Éric Bischoff <e.bischoff@noos.fr>, Erik
Kjær Pedersen <erik@math.binghamton.edu>

On Wednesday 19 December 2001 10:11 am, you wrote:
> > Hello all!
> > A Spanish translator has told me that he has found that the quanta.po
> > version in sourceforge is MUCH newer than the kde's cvs one.
> > With MUCH i mean 5 months...
>
> I'm angry. I wrote several times to the quanta developers about this.

Chees and crackers! What a way to start my day. This is the first I've
 heard of any of this and I've done way more explanations that I even like
 doing.

[...]

On to the facts...
1) Yes it's true, there is a commerical development of Quanta, but I have
nothing to do with it. That is Dmitry and Alex and because their employer
sees the GPL'd version of Quanta as competition they have nothing to do
 with the GPL'd version. So QUIT WRITING THEM INSTEAD OF ME.

2) Yes, Quanta has had little or no activity in CVS for some time. I have
three businesses I run and have only been learning C++. [...]. Currently we
are back in action but my new partner does not have CVS access... We have
been sending diffs back and forth. I am looking at whether to commit the
recent work as a  KDE_2_2_BRANCH or see if I can leave it unbranched and
get it to run with ifdefs. I hope to have this resolved shortly.

3) Status of Quanta documentation - There is nearly none. [...]
 We will begin documentation shortly. The
 documentation available with Quanta is not Quanta documention, it is
 optional documentation for html, php, css and javascript. It is used for
 context sensitive help and it more resembles the docs in kdevelop. Now...
 if that needs to be converted and can be done while maintaining
 functionality I am happy to be enlightened. I do want to do everything I
 can to help with the internationalization of Quanta as long as it does not
 impair functionality.

4) Quanta CVS status - my apologies, I will endeavor to get it brought up
 to date this week. I have been very busy and have been trying to get the
 KDE 3 version to work so I could avoid the extra work of a branch. I'd
 like to be consulted before removal. If you're eager to remove something
 webmaker in kdenonbeta is, last I checked, KDE 1 vintage.

5) Source Forge CVS - I have no idea what you're talking about. I've looked
and everything I have seen there is 19 months old! We DO NOT use
 sourceforge and the project there is KDE 1 vintage. Internationalizing it
 seems absurd as we don't even support it... I have just not cleared out
 CVS.

6) KDE pot and po files. We have been maintaining these in our recent work
 so when I commit it to CVS shortly it will be in much better shape than it
 has been. Again my apologies.

Having said all that I will say that I am a little new to all the ins and
outs of of C++ coding for KDE while I have 25 years of experience off and
 on in coding. I may not get something the first time but I intend to be a
 team player. As soon as I have someone working on docs I will have them
 immediately in touch with you to be sure that we do everything by the
 book. For the time being we have just been a little disorganized. I have
 had more than my share of upheaval this year and I can't imagine 2002 not
 being 100 times better.

I apologize for any confusion. In the future please contact me to resolve
 any difficulties and I will respond immediately and do what I can to
 resolve issues. Thanks, and I do appreciate your work.

Cheers
--
Eric Laffoon                    sequitur@kde.org
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/
Deutsche KDE-Uebersetzung: http://i18n.kde.org/teams/de/