List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [I18n]az_AZ: Problem in Mdk distros with KDE 2_x series.: Unicode and typing problem
From:       Pablo Saratxaga <pablo () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-11-10 16:10:43

Kaixo!

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 04:01:19AM -0800, Vasif Ismailoglu MD wrote:

> Few days ago I've reported a problem related to the
> typing under KDE in
> Mdk 8.1.
>   The problem is solved after 2-3 hours work.
>   The problematic
> installation:
>    Mdk 8.1 installed with Az option.
> /etc/sysconfig/i18n file with az_AZ.UTF8
> options, except LANG variable.
>   LANG=az
>   The problem is az. If you remove az, everything is
> going to be ok.

IMHO that is a bug of KDE.
The LC_CTYPE variable, if defined, should have priority over LANG for
the determination of the charset encoding.
XFree86 does that way, as keystrokes were producing utf-8 sequences.

> After
> this you can type, read freely and easily.
>   Of corse. system is going
> to be in C (default).

?? if you undefine the LANG variable only that shouldn't change the language
of menus etc, which is defined in the LANGUAGE variable (and, for KDE, trough
the kcontrol program).

You could also set the LANG variable to the same value as others
(eg: LANG=az_AZ.UTF-8)

>   I've thought this may be because
> /usr/share/local/az/charset file. There
> was utf-8 entry. I've changed it to iso10646-1. But it
> crashed KDE.

BTW, what exactly is the purpose of that file ?

Thanks for finding the reason of the problem.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.srtxg.easynet.be/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975