List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    az_AZ: Problem in Mdk distros with KDE 2_x series.: Unicode and typing problem
From:       Vasif Ismailoglu MD <azerb_linux () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-11-10 12:01:40

FIRST_MAIL:
Hello friends.
  For a quite long time I'm not watching after i18n
process. Cause is my
exams and diplom work. Ok.
    It was shocked me when I'd installed KDE 2_2 on my
LM box. I'v installed
it in AZ (Azerbaijani) option. Everything was OK. New
KDE stuff was very sympathic.
But shock was when I've tried to type something. The
result was like Unicode
text showed with ISO-8859-1 option. With strange
Auml's, Euml's and etc.
It was found nearly 2 monthes ago. but I was out of
time for reporting it
on Mdk lists. KDE showing everything exactly, a3 files
too. But it is unable
to write something (chars like gbreve, scedil, ccedil,
ouml, uuml, idotles). (Same problems occuring while
installing clean LM 8.1 with AZ option).
  With GNOME there is not any problems. GTK works fine
with 8859-9e and
it's strange with uicode too. I can type in
Azerbaijani in Galeon, Mozilla
and etc. But for important progs such as Kbabel,
Kwrite. I've finished my
diplom work today. After introducing it I'm planing to
begin translations.
but it is very difficult now.

SOLVED:
Few days ago I've reported a problem related to the
typing under KDE in
Mdk 8.1.
  The problem is solved after 2-3 hours work.
  The problematic
installation:
   Mdk 8.1 installed with Az option.
/etc/sysconfig/i18n file with az_AZ.UTF8
options, except LANG variable.
  LANG=az
  The problem is az. If you remove az, everything is
going to be ok. After
this you can type, read freely and easily.
  Of corse. system is going
to be in C (default). But there is not any solutions
found by me.
  I've thought this may be because
/usr/share/local/az/charset file. There
was utf-8 entry. I've changed it to iso10646-1. But it
crashed KDE.

That's interesting why this variable (LANG=az) is
crashing system in a such
way?

Sincerely

=====
Vasif ?smay?lo?lu MD            Resident in Urology

 School of Medicine of Cerrahpasa    azerb_linux@yahoo.com
     University of Istanbul             www.linuxaz.com
      Department of Urology