List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Re[2]: success/failure
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-28 14:17:58

Am Sonntag, 28. Oktober 2001 14:57 schrieb Wang Jian:
> Hello Thomas,
>
> When use Native encoding, if full translated, Chinese translation
> package should be smaller than many other languages. But When using
> UTF-8, Chinese is a little bigger(but not much big I think).
>
> I dont know the principle for SuSE to select these translation
> packages, but I don't think size is a persuading one.

Sorry, this could have been clearer. With "big" languages I wasn't
referring to the size of the i18n packages but to the number of users
worldwide. Regarded this way, Chinese is still the "biggest" language
in existence, of course.

And if SuSE is argueing from a mere "market perspective" it is still
silly to exclude languages of direct neighbors and big minorities
of their own country like French, Spanish, Italian, or Turkish. It just
does not seem to make sense. Already wrote to feedback@suse.de
about this.

Regards,

Thomas