List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: GPL translations
From:       Frederik Fouvry <fouvry () CoLi ! Uni-SB ! DE>
Date:       2001-10-08 9:59:20

| >Somewhere
| >before I saw some other occurances of GPL in messages.
| >I've got a proposition to make translations of GPL for all languages
| >just once, put them somewhere in filesystem hierarhy or as a message
| >in kdelibs.po and also point that this is NOT legal translation...
| >bla, bla, bla....
|
| The GPL becomes legally void when translated. Personally, I don't use
| the available German translation because of that. Don't know, however,
| what the doc people think about this (CCing to kde-docbook therefore).

The setup for translated versions is available, and several
languages do have them.  The translations must be preceded
however by the notice that only the English version is legally
valid (as Thomas points out).  Therefore, when I added a version
(e.g. from the GNU web site), I put in the notice (in English and
translation ;-) provided by GNU, and I put in a link to the
English original version.  If there was no translated version, I
just put in a notice for the translator.  If a translation is
used or not is the decision of the language team in question.

BTW: The same conditions hold for the FDL and the LGPL.

(I'm not entirely sure if everything still works, because the
original setup was made for SGML and DSSSL.  The most important
is that the English license is shown of course.  Personally, I am
for having a translated version if that one is linked to the
English one.)

Best,

--
Frederik Fouvry		-	fouvry@coli.uni-sb.de