List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kbabel and
From:       Eric Bischoff <eric () boson ! caldera ! de>
Date:       2001-09-18 16:17:08

Le Mardi 18 Septembre 2001 17:21, Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes a écrit :
> > Why don't you keep &quot; in the translation?
>
> By Norwegian typographical convention, single quotes (') or angle qoutes
> («») are preferred. The use of single quotes is standardised throughout the
> Nynorsk translation, even when the English texts are inconsistent.

I understand. This is Yet Another Good Reason to use <quote>...</quote>. This
kind of national conventions can be explicited in the style sheets. And then
you don't worry about &quote;, ", ', «, etc. You are even allowed to change
your mind if you realize you were wrong in the first place ;-).

> (I just realised the reason you ask might be because it's possible (is it?)
> to redefine the &quot; entity in documentation (although « and » could be
> difficult). I haven't translated much docs, but I've encountered the &quot;
> in the HTML formatted texts of some regular applications as well.)

No, I don't think we can easily/safely redefine &quot; because it's not a KDE
entity, but an ISO entity. We would need &kquot; if we wanted that ;-).