List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    New progress dialogs - started
From:       Matt Koss <koss () napri ! sk>
Date:       1999-03-25 17:46:29

Hello everybody,

I have started the work on new progress dialogs for kiolib, as I promised.
I have decided to create a list progress dialog instead of using kget for
showing progress.

The dialog will be the part of kiolib and that's why easily used by all
applications.
Kget will then be configured to handle e.g. remote transfers ( ftp and http ).
These transfers would then display only in kget and not in the list progress
dialog.

I've created three new classes which replace current KIOCopyProgressDialog :

1. KIOSimpleProgressDialog - this is an old KIOCopyProgessDialog and that's
    why it works fine already.

2. KIOListProgressDialog - this will be a new progress dialog which shows
   progress for all IO operations in one window.
   Here I want to ask other developers on their ideas about how this should
   look and work.
   Some people already reported about BeOS and NextStep ( ? )  using something
   like this. As I didn't see BeOS and NextStep in action, I don't know how
   does it look there.
   My idea is to make something in style of lightweight kget window with a
   little different columns then in kget.
   We need one column for type of the operation ( copy, move, delete etc. )
   I don't know whether to show a simpe text for this, or to use icons ( may
   be even animated as in kget ).
   Other columns - similar to kget ( progress in size, progress in count of
   files, speed, remaining time, address ( URL ) )
   I want to make these columns configurable - user will choose what he wants
   to see.
   Dialog will remember its size and position on the screen.
   There will be several buttons for some operations, but not too many.
   All that should be needed are - pause, resume and cancel.
   Oh and another one for docking, the dialog will be dockable.

   Dialog will show only when needed and hide itself automatically when there
   is nothing to show.

   I am opened to ideas and suggestions for look and feel of this dialog.
   So feel free to suggest.

3. KIOLittleProgressDialog - this is a little progress widget for embedding in
   statusbar. It shows progress in two ways.
   First way is like Netscape does it -  a simple small progress bar.
   Second way is a text display : e.g. " 90%  12.4 kB/s "
   User can switch between these two types of display with a left mouse click.
   Right mouse button opwns a popup menu with only one button - Cancel.

   I will extend this widget to show combined progress for a list of kioslaves.
   This is required e.g. for konqueror.

Usage of dialogs :
-------------
Selecting of these progress dialogs is somewhat different then what it was.

So far, the progress dialogs where opened automatically.
To disable them, user called job->enableGUI( false );

From now, instead of enableGUI() , program will call setGUImode(  mode ),
where mode is one of the following : NONE, SIMPLE, LIST or LITTLE
As you have already found out - NONE is for disabling GUI for the KIOJob.

Program can switch type of the GUI for individual KIOJobs on the fly.
It's possible to hide / show / iconify / deiconify  Simple and  List dialogs
programmaticaly.

Usage of KIOLittleProgressDialog is little different.
This dialog will be a part of some application :

  KIOLittleProgressDlg *littleProgress;
  littleProgress = new KIOLittleProgressDlg( myStatusBar );
  myStatusBar->insertWidget( littleProgress, littleProgress->width() , ID_PROGRESS );

   KIOJob* job;
   job->setGUImode( KIOJob::LITTLE );

  // this connects job with a little progress dialog
   job->connectProgress( littleProgress );

I will commit the stuff probably today and you can try at least a little
progress widget. I tried hard to make it look good :-)

Comments / suggestions ?

 bye

		Matt

--