List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: Fwd: kfm not resolving URI correctly
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-03-21 23:47:07

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, David Faure wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 21, 1999 at 06:02:00PM -0500, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
>> David, my appologies.  You are correct in saying that we should not mix issues
>> since in this particular case they have to be handeled differently.  In fact, I
>> think they have to be solved as suggested by Torben, which is in KURL.
>Agreed.
>
>> However, I want you to know that the issue is still valid if the user chooses
>> the URL stated above in the location box.
>Well, theorically yes. But who will enter '//www.kde.org' instead of
>'www.kde.org' ? It's longer, and nobody knows about that strange way of
>writing an URL. One must be a RFC addicted to know that.

You are right, many if not most users are not willing or too lazy like
me to even want to type www.kde.org let alone //www.kde.org.  But you will
always find someone like this person that will do it for whatever reason.  So
IMHO making this assumption now might cause us to revisit this issue again.  I
do not think neither I nor you would want to go this route again, specially
since the fix is so trivial.  The changes required to accomodate this do not
even add an extra line of code!! And I have already made the necessary
changes to the shorturl patch I created over the weekend.  If you want it let
me know and I will send it to you.

>So I'm ok for handling such links, but not such users' entry.
You would be okay the 99.99% of the time until you get that one user who will
put this in as a bug again!  David, I think we should fix this now ; so I have
attached the modified versions of the shorturl patches.

>What's more, at some point, we might want to handle //server as a
>samba >server - which is not in the URL RFC, so .... ;)

Well, good point except don't we have to use forward ( \\server\service)
slashes for samba ? Or more accurately quote the URL behind the user's back
"\\server\service" or \\\\server\\service so as to avoid conflict with *nix
slashes ?  Ummm, intersting issue....  Will have to consult the RFC listing
to see if there is anything out there for SMB or a similar protocol.  I might
have more on this down the road.

Cheers,
Dawit A.