List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: PartChild(Mode)
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-02-18 17:49:49

Simon Hausmann wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Michael Reiher wrote:
> >Simon Hausmann wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi
> >> What I now would like to see in OpenParts would a kind of part child mode for
> >> parts:
> >> When a part child gets active, the mainwindow it's registered to does _not_ get
> >> notificed about this (and therefore there will be usually no *bar rebuilds) but
> >> instead the part parent gets notified.
> >> I think this would be a solution and the rest of the problem in regard to a
> >> common Konqueror gui for all embedded views is not related to openparts itself.
> >>
> >> My question to you is now quite simple:
> >> Are there any objections against such a part child/part parent thing ?
> >
> >Maybe I missed something, but *why* do you want do that? I mean it would
> >reduce menu flickering if you switch between file browser views. But
> >take the mail view example I described in a previous mail, switching
> >often from mail view to tree or HTML view would still flicker like hell.
> >So wouldn´t you think that the way to go is to make OpenParts capable of
> >menu merging or persistent menus or whatever is the right name for it?
>
> Well, the mail view example would _NOT_ flicker because the mail view has to
> inherit from KonqView in order to be a fully qualified Konqueror View. And
> since every KonqView would be a part child of KonqMainView (if it's embedded in
> there) and every KonqView has an assigned "shared" KonqGui there I can't see any
> problem :-)
Ahh thanks, things are becoming clearer:)
So all embedded parts that have special konqueror support because they
inherit KonqView won´t cause menu flickering but all others will?
Something else, will the view specific menu items be limited to to View
menu?

> And just in case you want to embedd a "plain" ;) part into the whole Konqueror
> system you might want to use KonqPartView (which obviously derived from
> KonqView) . (and the "internals" of such a KonqPartView should be, as far as I
> thought about it, kind of trivial in regard to the part-focus/part-child
> handling :)

Michael

--
Michael Reiher
     Student at Dresden University of Technology