List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: konqueror components
From:       Teodor Romeo Mihai <teddy () piercom ! ie>
Date:       1999-02-16 19:42:54

David Faure wrote:

> > clipboard. Anyway, I've decided not to wait, so I have implemented my
> > own clipboard for internal objects, which acts as well as a wrapper over
> > the Qt clipboard, and it works fine. Therefore it can be done.
>
> Of course it can be done !
> But if you did it, you could have contributed to the KDE by sharing your
> work, so that the whole KDE would have a fully functional clipboard.

I'm afraid it's internal use only... I usually like to stay in my corner
and write my code..

> > And it's not only the clipboard. It's the drag-and-drop. And I could go
> > on for a long time like that, but this is not the point. There is
> > nothing wrong about thinking of the future - as long as we have a steady
> > present. A real desktop environment is made with good applications,
> > which we don't quite have, and they require good libraries and good
> > documentation.
>
> Feel free to contribute, if you something misses work !
> We're doing what we can !!

maybe you need a vCard 3.0 library...

> > You can't make the things perfect, but nobody asks that.
>
> You seem to ask that.... Without having contributed an inch.

That's not fair to say. I don't ask, I expect - big difference. It's
certainly okay if you just ignore me. I've just put a considerable
amount of time and energy in this project and things are not looking
pink, at least not from where I'm standing. Maybe I'm wrong. And about
the contribution part: it doesn't show (yet), but I really worked hard
for the last three months, because I do want to make a things better.
Don't get me wrong, I respect your work (quite a lot), that's why I've
chosen KDE and not GTK/GNOME, but that's the exact reason I feel I have
to say my opinion, and since this list is supposed to be democratic
you're free to listen or not.

> > What you can do is provide a base, before thinking too hard about the
> > next kfm. I know it's more exciting  to decide the next features of the
> > version 1.1 rather than writing the help for 1.0, but it's up to you to
> > decide which one is the mature choice.
>
> Personally, I'm doing both at the same time. Have a look at how many bugs
> I've fixed in kfm - the current one, kfm II - since I maintain it (October
> 1998). You'll _really_ be surprised.
> About the clipboard, I implemented copy/paste of text (from line edits,
> HTML pages, ...) as well as URLs. So yes, I addressed the problem of the
> clipboard (but I had to deal with the old internal kfm clipboard for URLs,
> so it wasn't a global solution for KDE). But there were many many other
> things to fix.
>
> I don't need somebody to tell me what I should do. Certainly not the way
> you do.

It's hard to answer to this quite impolite accusation, if I may say so,
without making things "hotter".
I appologise if this is what you think I was doing. I merely tried to
draw your attention to something very important to me: I think that more
effort should be put into making KDE a good development environment. Of
course you can say: "feel free to contribute" and that is true, to a
certain extent. Namely, I didn't write the KDE libraries, and I'd like
to focus more on making KDE applications, as I do believe that a KDE
without applications is just another window manager - cool indeed, as
Windows without applications is nothing.

> I think I can at the same time fix the current kfm AND think about the next
> version of it without this being an immature choice.
>
> --
>  ____________________________________________________________________
> |                                                                    |
> |  David FAURE                                                       |
> |  E-mail : David.Faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org                  |
> |  http://www.insa-lyon.fr/People/AEDI/dfaure/index.html             |

Regards,
 teddy

Teodor Romeo Mihai  [email: teddy@piercom.ie]
Development Systems Engineer at Piercom Ltd.
Eurotechnopole Building, Holland Road
National Technological Park, Limerick
Ireland
Tel. +353 61 201972     Fax + 353 61 335051