List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: Getting Documentation to Work in i18n...
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1998-12-27 19:11:19

Patrick D. Dowler wrote:

> >The installation directions for KDE would then become to install:
> >        kdesupport (whatever you need from there)
> >        kdelibs
> >        kdebase    (includes ksgml2html ... )
> >        kde-doc-<lang1>, kde-doc-<lang2>, ...
> >        <other optional modules.>
>
> I like this idea a lot. It would be great to be able to chose 1 or
> more langauages udirng install and just get those. It  eases the
> burden on ftp or cvs distribution of docs alot.
>
> As an aside, the kcontrol thingy where one choses the langauge should
> still show all the available langauages and mark some as "not
> installed" - this helps users to know that some option could be
> available and just  needs to be installed.
>
> In langauge paks, the source should just include sgml. People
> who make distrubutions can decide if they want to generate
> the html and or ps for their customers if they like.

Do we want to get rid of HTML in CVS? This would be a compromise
for getting the i18ned docs back in sources ;)

What the above doesn't say, is that we have currently 30 languages.
So: you can have 30 doc packages per source module or have one doc
package for _all_ applications, but this would be what you don't
want (as do I).

I think, we need to get rid of all those doubled files in CVS. Those
logos are soo much redundant, that it hurts. A nif file and a SGML
file and the application pictures should be enough in CVS, but then
everyone would have to install sgmltools just to compile KDE out of
CVS... Not sure if I want that.

But what we do in CVS is not necessarly what we need to have in
packages.
And what we do in tgz is not necessarly what we need to have in RPMs or
DEBs.

I need opinions - I can't currently imagine the pros and contras enough
I'm afraid ;(

Greetings, Stephan

--
A big plus when your parents split up, is, that you don't
have to imagine them doing it again. * Mr. Rhodes