List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: Getting Documentation to Work in i18n...
From:       Peter Silva <peter.silva () videotron ! ca>
Date:       1998-12-23 0:16:02

"Patrick D. Dowler" wrote:

> >The installation directions for KDE would then become to install:
> >        kdesupport (whatever you need from there)
> >        kdelibs
> >        kdebase    (includes ksgml2html ... )
> >        kde-doc-<lang1>, kde-doc-<lang2>, ...
> >        <other optional modules.>
>
> I like this idea a lot. It would be great to be able to chose 1 or
> more langauages udirng install and just get those. It  eases the
> burden on ftp or cvs distribution of docs alot.
>
> As an aside, the kcontrol thingy where one choses the langauge should
> still show all the available langauages and mark some as "not
> installed" - this helps users to know that some option could be
> available and just  needs to be installed.

that's a good idea...

> In langauge paks, the source should just include sgml. People
> who make distrubutions can decide if they want to generate
> the html and or ps for their customers if they like.

It would be nice to be able to do that, but it means Everyone has
a working ksgml2html, if they don't then they cannot view even the
online docs (which are html, unless someone writes an kdoc sgml parser
for kdehelp, volunteers?)

A while ago, assuming everyone had sgmltools was a bad idea, much less
the KDE stuff that went with it.  Have things progressed
--
Peter