List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    FAQ?  Translation guidelines?
From:       "Bjarni R. Einarsson" <bre () netverjar ! is>
Date:       1998-12-19 19:20:58

Hello all,

I'd like to ask your opinion about a couple of 'policy issues' that we've
run into in the Icelandic application translation.  I apologize in advance
if this is a FAQ, and propose that people reply in private if it is.

The first question is: what is the purpose of the K menu?  Should it be a
list of programs, or a list of descriptions of programs?  Or is it just up
to the person doing the translating?

I.e. should the primary entries (Name=) in the tree *describe* a program,
just list it's name?  It appears to be used for short descriptions for the
most part, with the occaisonal "kname".

The other issue is slightly more difficult, but is closely related.  Are we
'allowed' to translate application names?  And if we are, are there any
rules about the new names?

Is the leading K a requirement, or even a recommendation?  (Note that "ark"
has no leading K, giving precedent for dropping the letter altogether..)

I'm translating the .kdelnk files for the Icelandic team, and currently my
rules have been as following:

	- Name= contains a short descriptive term (which could have been the
	  name of the application, if the author had been Icelandic..), such
	  as:
	  	"IRC client"

	- Content= contains a description suitable for newbies, preceded by
	  the applications real name, like this:
	  	"ksirc:  A program for accessing the IRC chat system".

Is this bad?
Is this good?

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson                    [ PGP: 02764305 / B7A3AB89 ]
 bre@netverjar.is -=- http://www.mmedia.is/~bre/ -=- Juggler@IRCnet

* http://www.europarl.eu.int/dg4/stoa/en/publi/166499/execsum.htm *
  Encrypt the covert narcotics, launder nuclear biotechno cash on
  the way to Swiss with your GSM phone - are you paranoid enough?