List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: Where should translated documents go (Repeat of Personal mail...)
From:       Peter Silva <peter.silva () videotron ! ca>
Date:       1998-12-19 17:21:58

(I'm sending this again at Eric's request because it got lost
 with the mailer problems last week.)

Eric Bischoff wrote:

> Something else : Peter an I gave our opinion about importation / exportation
> from and to the applications tree, but Stephan also spoke about something very
> important we haven't discussed yet : the final distribution along with kde. He
> stressed the point that all this stuff has grown very big.  This point too
> needs a lot of care.

The biggest problem here is that the other languages don't work
because the app document trees and www/d11n trees are different.

even if you untar the packages for a language, the application
won't find it.  Example:

kcmbell looks for documentation in:
    ... /kcontrol/kcmbell/bell-1.html   <-- this path is in the source
code.
				     It is the path used for the English docs
				     in the source.

The tree under www/d11n is currently:
    .. /kcontrol/bell/index.html      <-- this is where it is in the de/
Lang
					  tree.

We need to make these agree.  We could support the use of html
files named after the app, by having ksgml2html add a link,
(ln -s <app.html> index.html) when no index.html exists in the
directory.
The alternative is to correct the source code and English docs, to
point at index.html.  As for the directory name, one or the other
has to change. I'm not sure what is preferable, opinions?

Another example:

     ... /kmidi/kmidi.html --> ... /kmidi/index.html

The second problem once the trees for all languages are harmonized, is
packaging.  I like the "tar of all docs per language" and you just untar
the whole mess in $KDEDIR/share/doc/html, but that means that the tree
is flat:
		ie. <lang>/<app>/*.html

Yet another way of breaking the online documentation.

On Linux, there's an "append" option on tar, so one could change the
tarball script to cd into each category directory, and tar --append
rather than doing it in one, -cvf.  I don't know where this
script is, so I can't try it out...

Once those two things are sorted out, I think we'll be in good shape
for online versions of the docs.  I haven't given any thought to
other formats.  Is there something to think about there?

--
Peter