List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Documentation translations
From:       Eric Bischoff <ebisch () cybercable ! tm ! fr>
Date:       1998-10-27 18:10:51

As you may know, the translation process in KDE has two sides, the
translation of applications and the translation of documentations.

I would like to urge people translating documentations NOT TO
TRANSLATE HTML FILES, but to translate
instead the SGML files. SGML is the base format which allows us to
build automatically many other formats,
among them HTML and PostScript.

I and Sergio are currently preparing a "howto-translate" dedicated to
documentations, similar to the one you can find for applications at
http://www.kde.org/i18n.html. Could someone speaking english as his
mother language check this paper for us?

I would like to apologize in name of the documentation coordinators
(i.e. me and Robert) to people who have been translating HTML files so
far. As a punishment, I have already been SGMLizing a lot of files
(i.e. cutting and pasting translated phrases from HTML files to the
original SGML document) in various languages ;-).

Eric