List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: Non-native translator?
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () itm ! mu-luebeck ! de>
Date:       1998-01-05 21:17:50

Lou Ruppert wrote:

> Would a non-native speaker be useful to the translation effort?  I was
> a Russian Language major in college, and would like to stay fluent.  I
> noticed that a lot of programs don't have Russian translations yet.
> Would it be useful for me to, say, pick one program and try to
> translate it and then send it out someplace to be smoothed out by the
> actual native speakers?

Hi Lou!

Russian was my first language in the school, but I'm afraid, I can't
translate messages used in computer slang. I have problems finding
the right words even in German. But if you think, you can (with little
help), I'm sure, there will be the one or the other russian user
telling you about your mistakes.

This exactly is my approach with the german translation. Just start,
if you're not 100% sure, fill in the next word coming to your mind
and wait for someone complaining.

So, here is my question to all of you: If you have friends using
KDE, please ask them to do a little piece for KDE. I had very good
response in asking my own friends. They didn't do anything, but they
promised me to do (that's what friends are for, right? ;)
All of them use at least the german version and tell me about stupid
translations and often suggest better one.

Greets, Stephan

--
Everyone makes mistakes -- but we are more experienced at it
                                      anonymous KDE developer