List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    [Kde-games-devel] monopd meeting on IRC
From:       Daniel Hermann <hermann () tkm ! physik ! uni-karlsruhe ! de>
Date:       2001-06-25 10:08:22

Hi,

On Sunday, 24. June 2001 23:29, Rob Kaper wrote:

> Of course I would hope that monopd becomes the "de facto" Monopoly UNIX
> server and that KMonop becomes a big hit. Having a competing game might
> even stimulate quality.
>
> On the other hand I do share Josef's concerns about interoperability and
> that is exactly the reason why I seperated monopd in the first place and am
> very satisfied that the developer of gtkMonop uses the monopd protocol as
> well. And a colleague at work might make a Java applet client. :-)

We could achieve interoperability by dropping one server project and merging
it into the other. But is that the best way? On the other hand only unifying
the protocol and developing both servers is (partly) duplication of effort.

We should at first work out the details about our two different protocols to
see what's common and what's different. Rob, could you write down something
like a definition of your protocol structure (message types, etc) and where
they are used? I will do so, too. If we both commented our servers well
enough, it would be very easy ;-)
(I'm no computer scientist, so it should be understandable for a laity ;-)
I don't know when I find the time to do this, probably until next weekend.

> I propose that Daniel and I (and other interested parties) come together on
> IRC (#kde at irc.openprojects.net ?) in the near future so we can probe
> each others thoughts and roadmaps. Eventually our common goal is to have a
> kick-ass Monopoly game for KDE, so we should be able to find a common
> roadmap and work together. :-)

What about next weekend?

cheers

	Daniel