List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] kbattle.net
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2001-05-19 23:31:11

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 11:45:46PM +0200, Josef Spillner wrote:
> I've already started with GGZap, which was originally planned for 0.0.5,
> and will enable "online games on demand" one day - right now it's a nice
> prototype for a game launcher. Take that and add a chat and a browser, and
> you get KGGZ, which is quite stable and usable.

If KGGZ can be used as meeting place, then I would be back at my original
thought: make KDE games work with GGZ. (in a perfect world from within
libkdegames or something easy)

One problem I foresee is configuring games: I believe it's a good practise
to have the host/initiator configure a game but not being able to launch it
until all other players agreed to the ruleset.

You could leave that to the clients, but then there's a chance they would
all have to launch the GGZ screen again when they cannot agree on the rules.
When a game requires a static amount of players (for example Hearts, 4) this
is way worse than allowing one player to leave and the rest to wait for one
new player who does accept the rules.

This would mean that GGZ clients must be able to display a
configuration/playerlist accept/launch page, based on generic ruleset
information from a game server. Talk about dynamic GUIs. :-)

But that would be a problem with the kbattle.net idea as well.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | 'What? In riddles?' said Gandalf. 'No! For I was talking
cap@capsi.com | aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest