List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] kbattle.net
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2001-05-19 22:18:03

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 12:06:32AM +0200, Nikolas Zimmermann wrote:
> does _k_battleship run on gnome/windows?
> does _k_monop run on gnome/windows?

No, but I designed KMonop/monopd in such a way that GNOME/Win clients are
very welcome. :-) I do not want to tie my server code to a specific
platform. I want a dedicated server and any client can connect.

As far as I know, GGZ is more or less aimed at the same goal: there is a
generic server with accounts, highscores, chat, meeting areas, etcetera.
Every game can use GGZ, even if it's KDE only. The benefit is that if there
were to be a GNOME client for the same game, both could use GGZ.

Would I give up that opportunity if I ported KMonop to kbattle.net (I'm not
even using GGZ at the moment, though) ?

> No! but we want libkdegames integration for kbattle.net btw. you can
> develop kmonop with Q/KSocket and use some libkdegames extensions
> (KHighscore, KGameMisc, KStdGAmeAction...)

Oh, I will, although at the moment there is little I can reuse from there..
haven't even thought about highscores for Monopoly, but it's likely I will
use some of the KStdGameActions.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | 'What? In riddles?' said Gandalf. 'No! For I was talking
cap@capsi.com | aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest