List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: Moving gluon, gluon-blocks, ksokoban and libtagaro from playground-games to unmaintained
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2019-01-03 2:34:06

Hi Albert,

> On 3 Jan 2019, at 9:51 am, Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org> wrote:
>
> https://cgit.kde.org/ksokoban.git/log/
> https://cgit.kde.org/libtagaro.git/log/
> https://cgit.kde.org/gluon.git/log/
> https://cgit.kde.org/gluon-blocks.git/log/
>
> All of the 4 are still qt4 based
>
> All of them haven't had any meaningul commit in a long time
>
> Anyone against us moving them away from the "playground" virtual location to the \
> "unmaintained" one?

libtagaro
     "Replacement for libkdegames which will allow KDE games to scale to mobile form \
factors, and to fully take advantage of Qt 4 facilities."  The idea was good, but the \
author never finished work on it. gluon
    "An open framework for developing, playing and distributing games."
gluon-blocks
    "The first game for KDE/Gluon"
    Gluon was an ambitious project to revolutionise all KDE Games development, but it \
never came to fruition. I was quite interested  in using Gluon, but the project never \
seemed to present anything I could get my teeth into. The authors have been long \
gone. ksokoban
    A delightful KDE 3 game which never made the "cut" for conversion to Qt4/KDE4. \
Several good games failed to make that cut,  due to lack of resources in the KDE \
Games team, which was about 20 strong at Akademy 2008 BTW. Reasons were obscurity of  \
existing code, lack of access to original author, need to re-develop all the artwork, \
etc.

    Someone was going to replace KSokoban with Magazynier (Polish for "shopkeeper". \
cf. Japanese "sokoban" = "warehouse man").  I do not recall whether Magazynier ever \
got released or whether it too should go into "unmaintained".

    SO, facing reality, YES, move all 4 of the above to "unmaintained".

> At least saves some translators that may spend time translating them for no real \
> reason.

I also mourn the loss of all the development effort… here and in other lost KDE \
games… :-(

Cheers,
Ian W.=