List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] Using GHNS (Get Hot New Stuff)
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-03-15 3:32:54

Hello Josef,

Thank you very much for your succinct, clear and practical summary of where
GHNS is up to currently.  I found it very helpful.  Thank you, Josef.

On 13/03/2012, at 11:18 PM, Josef Spillner wrote:
> :: Ian Wadham Dienstag 13 M=E4rz 2012
>> There is a feature of KDE called "Get Hot New Stuff" (GHNS) and I have
>> sometimes thought about using it in KGoldrunner for such goodies as:
>> =

>>   - Solutions to levels
>>   - High-score records
>>   - Releasing new levels in between releases of KDE (but untranslated)
>>   - Posting levels to be contributed
>>   - Graphics themes
>>   - Sound themes
>> =

>> Unfortunately, every time I look at it (over several years) I seem to fi=
nd
>> that it has recently been re-written and the documentation is incomplete.
> =

> Let me give a quick summary. <snip>

It was a very neat summary =85

>> In particular, I do not see any advice about where to store the "stuff" =
and
>> how secure, backed up and *constant* that place might be (web sites
>> appear, disappear or change URLs all the time).
> =

> If you want to store the "stuff", I would recommend to store your "stuff"=
 in a =

> repository and use newstuff.kde.org (which runs the Hotstuff services) to =

> produce appropriate feeds for the games. If you want to let your gamers c=
reate =

> "stuff" through editors etc., it'll be a bit more complicated (see below).

I think I will start by storing the most immediate stuff (solutions and new=
 levels)
in the repository as you advise and proceed from there into GHNS, leaving t=
he
fancy stuff (moderated uploads, etc.) till later --- that's if there is a l=
ater :-)

Thanks again, Ian W.