List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] QCanvasSprite + QObject
From:       Johnny Andersson <johnny () johnnys ! info>
Date:       2001-12-19 10:07:45

On Tuesday 18 December 2001 23.51, thomas.friedrichsmeier@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
wrote:

> I wonder however, just how big and slow QObjects are - can anybody supply
> details? I typically have between four and ten QCanvasSprite/QObject-things
> on my canvas which don't exchange too many signals (I'd think something
> like one per second on average), but use the timers / TimerEvent of QObject
> for doing their animations. So is it worth the (substantial) hassle of
> rewriting the respective classes to get rid of QObject? Anybody have
> experience with this?

After having read about QObjects in the previous message, I thought I'd get
rid of them too. I also want to use them just because of the timers... Of
course, period updates could be handled in other ways. The signal / slot
mechanism doesn't really seem suited to games speed-wise, either.

Figures would be interesting, though. :)

Btw, a virtual QCanvasItem::periodicUpdate() that gets called automatically
would be nice..