List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Nail in the coffin?
From:       jedi () penguin ! lvcablemodem ! com
Date:       2000-09-14 22:26:43

>    Hi!
>
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 07:03:58PM -0400, Ken Wood wrote:
> > > Well, looks like Qt/Unix 2.2 is being released under the GPL.
> > >
> > > I assume this officially kills the freeqt/harmony project.
> > >
> > > I'm sure  people will argue the merits of having an LGPL version, but
> > > I seriously doubt this project will every be finished or widely used.
> >
> > If I understand correctly, both QT and the KDE libraries are licensed under
> > the GPL. Personally I find this a bit disappointing, since (if I understand
> > how the GPL works correctly) this forces all applications written using the
> > KDE libraries to also be GPL.
>
> Wrong. The KDE libraries are entierly licensed under LGPL or less restrictive
> licenses (i.e. the X11 license). Qt is dual-licensed (GPL+QPL), and you can
> buy a license for proprietary development.
>
> This means that
>
>  * if you write an open source app, you are allowed to do so as you
>    - can use the GPL+LGPL library licensing if you want to write a GPLd app

	Actually, strictly speaking, a GPL version of QT would also
	require a GPL version of KDE to go along with it. The whole
	viral licence thing still seems a bit shaky. However, what I
	think the new licence for QT achieves is an arguable statement
	of intent on the part of Troll. I don't think Troll will be in
	a good position to harass QT cloners in future & projects like
	Harmony should be on a sound footing.